Home Forums Online Course Technical Questions 2 Let It Bee, Inc.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Adrian Woods 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

April
    Participant

I would like to thank you for sharing this great opportunity with all of us. I am a firm believer in Permaculture especially for my honey bees.

April

Adrian Woods
    Participant

Hi April,

Just reading the Spanish bee laws the other day. Special licence required and all hives have to be numbered and registered. You must be 400 m. away from ANYTHING and never in towns, etc. There is even a place near Madrid called Torrelodones where the Town Council has prohibited bees in the WHOLE MUNICIPAL DISTRICT.
    Plenty of bees around anyway, so I think a lot of them are “freelance” and probably better off in the local parks and vacant lots than out in the countryside where agricultural biocides abound, even though the EU has just passed a law against bee-harming pesticides.

Was in London last month and they were having a Bee Week at the South Bank Centre. Gardeners busy planting flowers for the bees in their gardens to do their bit to help.

Adrian

Hope it is more enlightened where you live and that you have fun with the course.

Dawn
    Participant

Wow Adrian I didn’t know that – maybe I should just pretend like I never heard :-) there are so few bees where we live – haven’t seen any since early spring, neither domestic nor wild :(

April
    Participant

Dawn where do you live?

Dawn
    Participant

I live I the South of Spain

Adrian Woods
    Participant

Hi Dawn,

What part?

Adrian

Adrian Woods
    Participant

Dawn,

Have you heard of Richard Wade?

https://www.permacultura-montsant.org/conocenos/nuestra-historia/

https://landawakening.com/links/

I read about his willow basket grey water / sewage filtering system in a book and looked him up.

Adrian

Adrian Woods
    Participant

Bees:

Easier going in London: https://www.urbanbees.co.uk/faq/faq.htm

:-)
    A

Dawn
    Participant

In M├ílaga provincies – in the middle og Guardalhorce Valle

Adrian Woods
    Participant

Dawn

So you are nearer to the Alpujaras where there has always been a lot of alternative stuff going on than to Tarragona where Richard Wade is.

I hear there are some interesting microclimates in the valleys in the Malaga area.

Some years ago I translated stuff for a botanical gardens in Malaga Capital, but like all the old stuff it died with the last hard disk crash, along with Endesa Electrical Company’s survey of the birdlife perching on their power lines!!!

Adrian

Dawn
    Participant

Yes, but right now I am in Barcelona bc my husmand is takning a PDC in Valdaura, and thet have a guided tour tomorrow – only I strained my foot on Montserrat today :(

Loads of interesting things going on in Malaga, and Guadalhorce is fantastic – it is mainly citrus trees in the Valle – but a much more diverse place than inland toward Granada, where you can see is olives (and bare soil) for km after km… Up towards Rondha loads of organic farmers, but I’m unsure of how big Permaculture is down there. We are very new to this hole scene, and Spain, so,we are learning as we go.

Adrian Woods
    Participant

Great!

You are in the right place because Richard Wade is one of the teachers at Valldaura!!!

Let us know how it goes.

Dawn
    Participant

Now I’m confused – because Valdaura is not a permaculture place, and never will be… The owners have no clue and at least one teacher has quit over it in the last three months. Rosemary who is giving the course is great, the place is not. I will not come back (we are doing the practicum toghether next weekend), we are looking for real permaculture places in Spain – not a place where some architect can pretend to be doing sustainable living, to make himself look good.

Dawn
    Participant

Sorry about that harsh reply :-) we are just very disappointed about the place and the attitude of the owners.

Adrian Woods
    Participant

Are we on the same hymn sheet:

https://www.valldaura.net/permaculture/program/

I have no vested interest! I am chained to Madrid and will have no money or free time for these things for a long time (apart from perhaps a weekend excursion) so am just trying to do all the reading and knowledge gathering I can while raiding the vacant lots around my house for mulch and emptying out all the old seed packets willy-nilly into the garden just to see what happens. I have tree cover but a lousy floor level.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.